Learning as I go

Your comments will not post right away becaus I am moderating them. However because this is an open forum you are strongly encouraged to make comments.

Name:
Location: Taylorsville, Utah, United States

Friday, April 14, 2006

I realized something.

Recently we’ve had some problems with one of our roommates. He has been very hard to live with and nobody has put up with it much. He seemed to be acting very immature and none of us knew why. We figured he was just being a jerk and left it at that. Well we had a run in yesterday morning and we both screamed a lot. I even mentioned that we had discussed it as roommates and that if he didn’t change he would have to find a new place to live.
Probably less then an hour later he came out of his room. I was on my way out when he started to talk. He said he needed to apologize to one of my roommates for the way he had been acting. Then he let me know why he was acting the way he was. He admitted that he needed to change the way he acted. I found out that I needed to change as well. My other roommates and I had been doing some things that were hurting his feelings without even knowing we were. I told him I was sorry and promised him that I would try to do better. I realized that he isn’t just my roommate, he is my friend. It all makes sense now and I’m definitely going to try harder in the future.

It’s amazing how tender hearted we all are. I realized that we really need to be more sensitive and careful about how we communicate with each other. It’s times like this that makes me so grateful for the atonement. In 3rd Nephi Chapter 9 verse 13 Christ said, “Will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted that I may heal you?” I feel like I totally hurt my roommate’s feelings. I didn’t realize I was doing it, but I was. I wish that my roommate had an active testimony in the Savior. Then he could be healed by him. So here’s a question for you: Can the atonement work in the life of somebody who doesn’t believe in it? My roommate’s feelings were hurt but things have been reconciled. Do you think that the atonement had a part to play in that?

1 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

First off, you needed the atonement to repent (look to God and Live) to look at your roommate with spiritual eyes instead of worldly eyes. That way you were able to see that your roommate is a son of God who is hurting. Once you saw this your whole perspective changed because you were taking part of the atonement and you were seeing him as Christ would.

Now I don't know if the roommate can take part of the atonement if he isn't trying to. Its sad because its a lot easier to live life with the atonement. We don't have to do things the hard way. The gospel path has a lot less thorns and its much easier to deal with struggles when they come because you have perspective and understanding. If your roommate doesn't want to follow that path that is up to him, but you can treat him like who he really is, a son of God. We tend to become what we are treated like.

4/19/2006 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home